Click SMC Intro (under Labels) to learn about the Scripture Memory Challenge - and then look for posts on 1st and 15th of each month!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Somewhere in El Paso...

Hope everyone has a great weekend…please come to church tomorrow night (Saturday 8/20) for the community Gospel Sing to benefit Backpack Buddies! Singing begins at 7pm cost to enter is either a can of Ravioli or a monetary donation if you prefer. I understand there are at least 5 local churches represented. I know it will be a blessing!

Also if you have a dirty car…bring it by the church tomorrow (Saturday 8/20) between 8am and 4pm and get it washed by the Youth for a fundraiser for the Humphries family!!! They are also selling BBQ sandwiches, pints of BBQ, and something about some shoulders…lol! The Humphries have a 16 year old diagnosed with bone cancer. The fundraiser is to help with expenses travelling back and forth to Chapel Hill for treatments. (And please pray for the family!!!)

On a side note…do you know how pathetic we are becoming as a society? Or maybe I am the only one…I have become so dependent on my smart phone that without it I am a mess. Y’all know I am borderline OCD…well maybe not borderline…ha! And little things grate on my nerves. Like data…I like data being displayed to be correct. Like 9am on my clock is in tune with Direct TV because 9am is different than 9:05am. I know…crazy. Just this week the Acteens and I discussed pet peeves and how to overcome them! And I am struggling!

So today my phone starting showing “El Paso” as the location…and I was so freaked out that I spent way too long trying to figure out how to fix it. When I fixed it finally…I realized how stupid the whole ordeal was…I mean really…how could I be so obsessed over something so insignificant? Six months ago I had no clue that Clayton was 88’ with intermittent clouds at 12:05pm….and I was surviving! But suddenly my world is crumbling because for a few hours I was in El Paso with mostly sunshine and 78’. I actually said “what if I need the navigator and it thinks I am in TX!”…Y’all I kid you not when I leave work I am going to church to set up chairs and then home…do you think I will need a navigation system to guide me?

So now that I am looking back I can’t help but shake my head and roll my eyes…can you imagine what Jesus thinks as we get so caught up in little things like smart phones? Do smart phones have eternal value? Will having a smart phone leave a legacy behind when I die? Granted they are nice and make life more convenient…but I don’t read any Bible stories about Jesus’ life being convenient. In fact I am ashamed. One of my memory verses a few years ago was James 1:27 “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after the widows and orphans in their time of distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world”. Ouch. I think I am polluted in ways I never imagined!

Lord, help me remember to keep material things like smart phones in perspective. Give me your heart so that I can love others instead of things. Amen

Bless someone!
In Him,
Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment