Click SMC Intro (under Labels) to learn about the Scripture Memory Challenge - and then look for posts on 1st and 15th of each month!

Monday, May 9, 2011

What do the kids say about me???

Funny Story…Peyton came home last week and said some kids were picking on her at school and then carried it over into day care. She was mad as fire. So I said “what were they picking on you for”…dreading the answer…kids are so mean and I had a handful of names in my head that they might have picked.


Girls I was shocked…get this…the kids were calling her “preacher’s kid sent from above”. I could not hold back my laugh. And when I laughed she screamed “mom!”. But let me explain…it cracked me up first because I pick on Travis when folks ask him if he is a preacher (it has happened at the hospital a couple times…lol) and second because really???? that is the best they could come up with???? So I explained that she is doomed because she is her mother’s child and her mother was the queen “miss goodie two shoes” at that age and she is natured much the same. And I lovingly pointed out that if that was the worst thing anyone called her in 4th grade…she has had a very successful year! And that if she is known as the "preacher's kid sent from above" then clearly her friends knew where she stands in her faith and other things in life. And that was a wonderful thing! Finally she reluctantly agreed. And then I think she started to like the nickname. Just a little…because…she is her mother’s child!

Later I got to thinking about how awesome it would be if that is what people called me! =) But what do people see when they see me? Do they see the Bible toting, Scripture quoting, Jesus loving, people loving, Proverbs 31 striving woman that I so desperately want (but fall short!!!) to be? Or do they see someone else? Someone hateful to the grocery clerk, impatient to the bank teller, snobby to the waitress, unloving to the hurting woman on the back pew, gossiping about the family in turmoil, what do they see?

I have said before that I never cared what anyone thought about me in early adulthood years. Not sure if it was the “miss goodie two shoes” overload wearing off or what! ha I just lived as me and people could like it or not…up to them. Either way it did not even cross my mind. But as of late I realize more and more that perception is one of the most important factors of your witness. And if your witness is bad…I don't know if you can truly bear good fruit for Jesus. And if we don’t bear good fruit…we may be cut down and thrown into the fire (Luke 3:8-9)!

So what do folks see? Look at yourself as if you are an outsider looking in. Or better yet…for homework find you 2-3 trustworthy folks that will lovingly tell you the truth even if it is not pleasant. Ask them to tell you what they see when they look at you…a good fruit producer or do you need pruning? Get out the shears ladies!!! It is gardening season =)

Have a blessed week!

In Him,
Kristy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment