Click SMC Intro (under Labels) to learn about the Scripture Memory Challenge - and then look for posts on 1st and 15th of each month!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

News Flash...I am an Older Woman!

One of my favorite scripture passages is in the book of Titus…I think it is because I am so passionate about Women’s Ministry and ways to grow women to have their own relationship with Christ…not mine and not Pastor Billie’s, but their own…in their own way!!

Titus 2:3-5 (NIV)
3Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.


For years and years I have been searching so hard for an “older” woman to teach me things I needed to know about managing my home and being involved in ministry. Someone to guide me and hold me accountable and to live a Christian Woman’s life that made me yearn to also have a walk so close to Christ that people wanted what I had too.

So here is the funny thing…when Amber and I went to JBA WMU training at Campbell Univ. this summer, they were doing a presentation of this Ladies Event they were having called “Shine”. And I was pumped about it. It sounded so cool. It was ONLY for younger women and I thought it was going to be so much fun. And then in the middle of my excitement the girl looked up and said (I quote) “so please encourage all of your Young Ladies…ages 18-34 to come”. I looked at Amber like I had been shot. She stifled a giggle and I said..."I am not young anymore". I was stunned…it was all I could do to stay focused…not because age matters, because I rarely even remember how old I am…lol…but because it was the very first time I saw myself as someone people MIGHT be looking up to!!!! And that scared the skirt off of me!!!

Reality set in…if I am not young…am I leading the life of the “older” woman in Titus? I was always so focused on being the one “learning” everything that it never occurred to me I needed to be teaching something! Do I spend time investing in younger women so that they know how to manage their houses? Am I being the role model I was looking for all those years?

If you are my age and a new Christian…you are exempt from these questions because you are still spiritually young! But if you are my age and have been a Christian for a number of years…what are you doing to teach the “younger” woman? If the HONEST answer is nothing…then pray for God to lead you where you can be effective in someone’s life.

Scripture Memory tomorrow =)
I challenge you to invite a “younger” woman to participate in learning one scripture with you!

Love ya!
Kristy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment