Click SMC Intro (under Labels) to learn about the Scripture Memory Challenge - and then look for posts on 1st and 15th of each month!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Fall, fall wherefore art thou, fall?

Fall is coming! I love fall…for so many reasons, while admittedly FOOTBALL season is the primary driver, I also love the return of cooler weather, suppers on the back porch, the thrill of hunting season through the eyes of not only a grown man but also a 9 year old girl and 6 year old boy, fall baseball and cheerleading practices (maybe not so much those...), shorter days, less bugs, etc. And I especially love that the routine begins to return. Most of you who know me know that I like structure. In fact, I just L-O-V-E a color-coded calendar with specific dates and times for things to occur... school, dance, football games, baseball practice, etc. It is truly sad...but it is just me! I like to call it “controlled chaos”! The summer is wonderful, but it is very hard to find any structure or stay on any kind of normal schedule.

And I’ve also grown to believe that September is the true season of “starting fresh” versus January first. Lots of things "start up" in the fall now. Sports seasons, dance classes, school for traditional system calendars, the church year, etc. So I like to think of September as a time of re-commitment. Where are you committing to serve in the new church year?

We had an interesting conversation in Sunday School last week. We were talking about folks using excuses for not serving at church. Basically...that no excuse is a good one! We talked some about how if you are asked to serve in a particular area...that could very well be the only "calling" God sends you. So if you sit and wait for God to call...you might have missed it by saying no. And then someone said it best of all..."honestly, what do you have going on in life that you are too busy to serve God? To do the thing He has sent someone to ask you to do." OUCH!

So what are you doing this year at church? Where are you serving with your time and talent? More importantly, WHO are you serving?

Joshua 24:15 "But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.""

I cannot wait to get started on the No Other Gods study!!!
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment