Click SMC Intro (under Labels) to learn about the Scripture Memory Challenge - and then look for posts on 1st and 15th of each month!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Where is your center?

I am reading an interesting book. I know you are surprised...haha It is called "No Other Gods". And it has opened my eyes to some interesting things in my life. When I heard the word 'idols' the only thing that came to mind was ancient times...golden calves or voodoo dolls. Not once did I think of tv, radio, work, family, etc. The point of the book is that an idol is anything you cherish above the Lord. Well, initially I even thought that was absurd...I am a good Christian and I know scripture says "Love the Lord your God with all you heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and ith all your strength (Mark 12:30 - scripture memory comes in so handy!!!!) And I do love the Lord! But then I started evaluating my life...and specifically my priorities. I came to realize that when my world "centers" around something...in essence it is an idol. If that thing/person is not Jesus...then I have an idol problem.

So many times my world has centered around ME...therefore I am my own idol. When I value my own thoughts, desires, dreams above the Lord's plan...I have a problem. When my world centers around my husband or my children...they are my idols. When my world centers around work...it is my idol. Anything I choose above Jesus becomes my idol...tv, radio, money, rest, etc.

I challenge you to look at your center of your world....is it Jesus? If not, you need to pray for guidance from the Holy One to help you re-center your world. And if you have nothing to pray for...pray for me...pray for Jesus to open my eyes to see as He sees...and make choices that He would make in everyday living so that I do not have an idol problem! I want to shine His light in this grim world while I am living and I realize that if my center is not Him...the light will be overshadowed by my idols...and my witness will be ineffective and weak! And I want to finish STRONG!!!!

Love ya!
Kristy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment